HMCS Bytown Constitution
- GENERAL. The HMCS BYTOWN Wardroom (hereinafter known as the 'Wardroom') is established under the authority of QR&O 27.4 and will be operated in accordance with CFAO 27-4 and applicable NPF directives. The purpose of the Wardroom is to promote the welfare of the Members thereby providing suitable facilities for the Members to meet from time to time, and to follow social, educational and cultural pursuits.
- In 1986, NDHQ made arrangements with HMCS BYTOWN Officers' Mess Inc. whereby it would lease the premises at 78 Lisgar Street and operate it as the NDHQ Naval Officers Mess. Accordingly, the operation of the Wardroom is subject to the:
a. Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) (Annex A);
b. Offer to Lease (Annex B);
c. Offer to Sell (Annex C); and
d. Custodial Agreement (Annex D); and
e. Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) June 1992.pdf
- As noted in Annex B, HMCS BYTOWN Officers' Mess Inc. remains the owner and lessor of the building. All members of the Wardroom are also Members of HMCS BYTOWN Officers' Mess Inc. Retired naval officers are Associate Members of the former and full voting members of the latter.
- MEMBERSHIPS. Membership in the Wardroom shall consist of the following categories:
a. Ordinary Members;
b. Associate Members;
c. Honorary Members; and
d. Honorary Life Members.
- Ordinary Members. Serving Officers of the Canadian Forces and naval officers on exchange who have been assigned membership in the Wardroom according to procedures followed by the Canadian Forces Support Unit (Ottawa) are Ordinary Members.
- Associate Members. The following categories include persons who may be Associate Members of the Wardroom:
a. Retired - Retired naval officers of the Regular Force and Primary Reserve;
b. Working - DND civilian employees of officer status;
c. Social -
1) Persons other than those mentioned above who identify with the values and traditions of the Navy;
2) Principal employees of corporate entities that identify with and support the values and traditions of the Navy are considered Corporate Social Associate Members, otherwise known as Corporate Members;
e. Out of Town - Persons who reside outside a fifty mile or eighty kilometer radius of the Wardroom and who make application for Associate Membership; and
f. Senior - Persons who are Associate Members who have reached the age of sixty-five.
- Application for Associate Membership.
a. Retired officers shall complete the Membership Application Form. The application need not be signed by a sponsor.
b. Applicants of the working and social category shall complete the Membership Application Form which must be signed by a sponsor, who must be a Member. Corporations may complete a Membership Application Form on behalf of its principal employees. All applications are reviewed by the Mess Committee and require approval in accordance with CFAO 27-1 paragraph 13 c.
c. Associate Members may enjoy all the privileges of an Ordinary Member, but they shall not vote in the management of the Wardroom.
d. An Associate Member may resign at any time by giving at least one months notice, in writing.
- Honorary Members. Honorary Members may be proposed by resolutions and approved at a meeting of the Wardroom Committee.
- Honorary Members may enjoy all the privileges of an Ordinary Member but they shall not vote in the management of the Wardroom.
- Honorary Life Members. The following persons are Honorary Life Members.
a. Naval officers of the rank of Rear Admiral and above of the Regular Force and Primary Reserve;
b. Past presidents of the Wardroom upon retirement from the Regular Force; and
c. Such persons who may, from time to time, be proposed by resolutions of the Wardroom Committee and approved by the majority of those present at a General Mess Meeting.
- Honorary Life Members may enjoy all the privileges of an Ordinary Member but they shall not vote in the management of the Wardroom.
- WARDROOM COMMITTEE. The Wardroom committee is charged with the overall management of HMCS BYTOWN Wardroom. It shall consist of at least seven Members but not more than ten who shall obtain their position and hold office in the manner described herein.
- The Wardroom President shall be nominated by the Chief of Maritime Staff (CMS) from among the Ordinary Members of the Wardroom and ratified by a majority of the Ordinary Members present at the next General Meeting.
- The Secretary shall be elected by a majority of the Ordinary Members present at a General Meeting from among the Ordinary Members.
- The Treasurer shall be elected by a majority of the Ordinary Members present at a General Meeting from among the Ordinary Members.
- The remainder of the Wardroom Committee shall be elected by a majority of the Ordinary Members present at a General Meeting. At least one of the Committee shall be of the rank of Commander. A second Member shall be an Associate Member carrying a vote in accordance with the MOU (Annex A).
- A Wardroom Vice President shall be a Commander appointed by the Wardroom Committee from amongst the elected Committee Members.
- Each Member of the Wardroom Committee shall hold office for a term of one year from the date of election or appointment or until such time as he/she ceases to be a Member of the Wardroom, or until his/her resignation as a Member of the Wardroom Committee is accepted by the remaining Members of the Committee.
- Vacancies on the Wardroom Committee, however caused may, so long as a quorum of Committee Members remains in office, be filled from among the qualified Members of the Wardroom.
- Meetings - Wardroom Committee. Wardroom Committee meetings shall normally be held monthly.
- A majority of the Members of the Wardroom Committee shall be a quorum.
- No formal notice of a meeting of the Wardroom Committee shall be necessary if all Committee Members have signified their consent, or if those absent have signified their consent to the meeting being held in their absence. Wardroom Committee meetings may be called by the President or vice-president or by the Secretary on direction of the President or vice-president or by the Secretary on direction in writing of two Committee Members. Notice of such meetings shall be communicated to each Committee Member not less than one day before the meeting is to take place. A Committee meeting may also be held, without notice, immediately following a General Meeting of the Wardroom. The Committee may consider or transact any business either special or general at any meeting of the Wardroom Committee.
- Questions arising at any meeting of the Wardroom Committee shall be decided by a majority of votes. In the case of an equality of votes, the chairman, in addition to his/her original vote, shall have a second vote or a casting vote.
- Meetings - General. The Wardroom Committee, the President, or the vice-president, shall have the power to call, at any time, a special General Meeting of the Members of the Wardroom. General Meetings will normally be held in February, for the reviewing of financial statements and budget presentation; in June, at which time a new Wardroom Committee will be elected; and once in the fall to update Members on Wardroom plans and operations.
- General Meetings shall be held in the Wardroom, or elsewhere as the Wardroom Committee shall decide, on such a day as the Committee shall select.
- Notice of General Meetings will be posted in the Wardroom and when possible in Routine Orders.
- A quorum for the transaction of business at General Meetings shall consist of not less than ten Ordinary Members present in person, inclusive of the Wardroom Committee.
- Each Ordinary Member of the Wardroom shall be entitled to one vote. Every question shall be decided by a majority of the votes of the Ordinary Members present. In the case of an equality of votes at any General Meeting shall be entitled to a second vote.
- FINANCIAL YEAR. The fiscal year of the Wardroom shall terminate on the last day of February, or in accordance with current NPF regulations.
- WARDROOM DEVELOPMENT PLAN. A Wardroom Development Plan, which projects the development of the Wardroom of at least five years, shall be maintained by the Wardroom Committee. AU non-public fund capital expenditures shall be consistent with the direction provided in the plan.
- WARDROOM HERITAGE FUND. Bequests and gifts may be made to this fund for the purchase of suitable artifacts to be displayed in the Wardroom. Items purchased from this fund will be suitable attributed to the donor(s).
- BORROWING. The Wardroom Committee may from time to time borrow money on the credit of the Wardroom. The Wardroom Committee may authorize any Committee Member, Officer, or employee of the Wardroom, or any other person to make arrangements with reference to the monies borrowed or to be borrowed as aforesaid and as to the terms and conditions of the loan thereof, and as to the securities to be given thereof, with power to vary or modify such arrangements, terms and conditions, and to give such additional securities for any monies borrowed or remaining due by the Wardroom as the Wardroom Committee may authorize, and generally to manage, transact and settle the borrowing of money by the Wardroom.
- PROMULGATION OF CONSTITUTION. A copy of the Constitution shall be issued to each Member of the Wardroom Committee and a copy shall be displayed in the Wardroom.
- AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION. Proposals to amend the Constitution shall be submitted in writing to the President.
- Proposed amendments to the Constitution must be published and displayed in the Wardroom at least 30 days in advance of a General Meeting.
- Amendments to the Constitution require the approval of a two thirds majority at a General Meeting.
- WARDROOM COMMITTEE RESPONSIBILITY. The Wardroom Committee shall be responsible to the Membership for the efficient operation of the Wardroom which includes:
a. recommending Wardroom subscription rate charges for approval at a General Meeting;
b. the appointment of a Wardroom Manager and the definition his/her duties;
c. the control of general operating expenses and profit margins;
d. the setting of hours of operation.
e. the maintenance of necessary documentation and files;
f. the care and maintenance of building and fixtures;
g. the provision of an appropriate entertainment program; and
h. the performance of such other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- COMMITTEE MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES. Responsibilities of individual Members of the Committee are laid out in this section.
- The President shall:
a. be responsible for all matters of policy relating to the operation of the Wardroom;
b. ensure that the Members of the Wardroom Committee and the Wardroom Manager perform their duties in accordance with the Wardroom Constitution and Wardroom Operating Procedures, and
c. ensure that the vice-president or a Wardroom Committee Member is available to act in his absence.
- The vice-president shall:
a. when delegated, act for the President in his absence;
b. assist the President in the discharge of his duties; and
c. perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President.
- The Secretary shall:
a. provide notices and agendas for both Wardroom Committee Meetings and General Meetings, and record and distribute the minutes of all meetings;
b. conduct correspondence as directed by the President;
c. be responsible for overall control of correspondence management procedures relating to the Wardroom and maintain two separate files - one which provides a record of all constitutional issues, and one other which provides a record of all important decisions taken at meetings; and
d. perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President.
- The Membership Member shall:
a. provide recommendations regarding changes to, and for the interpretation of, regulations relating to Membership;
b. monitor changing trends in Membership;
c. ensure the maintenance of current Membership list;
d. address all individual requests to join and leave the Wardroom or to change Membership status; and
e. perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President.
- The Treasurer Member shall:
a. prepare in concert with the Wardroom Manager the yearly budget, including provisions for items in the Wardroom Development Plan;
b. monitor financial results in comparison to the budget;
c. interpret financial statements and advise the President on the financial condition of the Wardroom; and
d. conduct liaison with the NCR NPF Account Manager.
- The Supply Officer shall:
a. ensure that Wardroom furniture and effects (i.e.: galley / portable equipment draperies, carpets and other items supportable with Public funds) are appropriate for their requirements and maintained in good condition;
b. supervise the Public and NPF Distribution Account Holders;
c. work in liaison with the Wardroom Manager to ensure that annual inspections are completed utilizing professional specialist assistance when required (i.e.: for galley equipment serviceability, fire hazards, and health and safety);
d. work in liaison with the Wardroom Manager to ensure that required repairs within the member' s purview are carried out in a timely manner;
e. ensure an inventory of CFSS and NPF Wardroom F&E is maintained and verified every six months;
f. maintain a Wardroom Development Plan which deals with both F&E and the building itself (working in conjunction with the Treasurer, Wardroom Manager and Heritage Member);
g. provide assistance to the Wardroom Manager regarding dining room and galley services;
h. provide recommendations to the Wardroom Committee regarding bar operating services, controls and other issues regarding the provision of alcoholic beverages; and
i. perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President.
- The Heritage Member shall:
a. ensure an inventory of Wardroom relics and trophies is maintained and verified every two years;
b. if applicable, prepare and submit the annual report regarding loaned War Museum paintings iaw CFAO 99-1;
c. provide input to the Wardroom Development Plan relating to the building and main services (see the Supply Officers responsibilities);
d. provide recommendations in concert with the Wardroom Manager to the Wardroom Committee regarding decorum of the Wardroom, both inside and out;
e. provide input for the appropriate utilization of the Wardroom Development Fund; and
f. perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President.
- The Entertainment Member, through the supervision of the Entertainment Sub-Committee, comprised of a broad representation from across NDHQ, shall:
a. recommend Wardroom functions considered to be of interest to sufficient Members so as to be self-supporting;
b. organize Wardroom functions via the Entertainment Sub-Committee for approval by the Wardroom Committee;
c. arrange weekend entertainment designed to encourage patronage of the Wardroom by Members;
d. arrange to keep Members informed of all Wardroom activities;
e. arrange for periodic surveys of the membership to ascertain entertainment desires;
f. perform any other duties in connection with Wardroom functions as may be directed by the President or the Wardroom Committee; and
h. perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President.
- WARDROOM STAFF. The Wardroom Committee shall engage a Wardroom Manager who shall be responsible to the President through the Vice President. The Wardroom Manager shall:
a. ensure that the building and fitted equipment (i.e.. heating and air conditioning, plumbing, water, and electrical systems) are appropriate for their requirement and maintained in good condition;
b. work in liaison with the Supply Officer to ensure that periodic inspections are completed utilizing professional specialist assistance when required (i.e.. for fitted equipment serviceability, fire hazards, and health and safety, and for structural integrity of the building); and
c. work in liaison with the Supply Officer to ensure that required repairs within the member's purview are carried out in a timely manner.
- The Wardroom Manager may be a Member of any subcommittee at the discretion of the Wardroom Committee.
- Terms of Reference for the Wardroom Manager shall be approved by the Wardroom Committee, with full responsibility for supervision of the Wardroom Staff being a significant part of the Wardroom Manager's duties.
- Terms of Reference and salary ranges for Wardroom Staff will be as recommended by the Wardroom Manager and approved by the Wardroom Committee. Nevertheless, Wardroom Staff will be employed as considered necessary by the Wardroom Manager on a day-to-day basis.
- General terms of employment shall be in accordance with personnel policy published in relevant Canadian Forces Publications.
- WARDROOM SUBSCRIPTIONS. Wardroom subscriptions shall be:
a. Ordinary and Associate Members, excluding Senior and Out of Town Members, shall pay the same rate of subscription. The rate shall be recommended by the Wardroom Committee and ratified by a General Meeting for approval by the Cmdt CFSU(O):
1) Ordinary Member's subscriptions are billed monthly with payment due at the end of the month in accordance with CFAO 27-1, and
2) Associate Member's subscriptions shall be billed quarterly with payment due at the beginning each quarter;
b. Senior Members shall:
1) pay half of the rate of subscription of Associate Members, and
2) be billed quarterly with payment due at the beginning of each quarter;
c. Out of Town Members shall:
1) pay a reduced rate as recommended by the Wardroom Committee ratified by a General Meeting for approval by the Cmdt CFSU(O), and
2) be billed annually with payment due at the beginning of each Year; and
d. Corporate Members shall:
1) pay a rate as recommended by the Wardroom Committee and ratified by a General Meeting for approval by the Cmdt CFSU(O), and
2) be billed annually with payment due at the beginning of each year; and
e. Honorary Members are not required to pay subscriptions but shall be charged for services rendered, including functions for which admission or a special charge is levied except when invited as guests of the Wardroom.
- FINANCIAL CONTROL. Wardroom funds may be expended on the following authority:
a. all non-capital or recurring expenses, by the Wardroom Manager;
b. expenditures of a capital or non-recurring nature up to five thousand dollars ($5000.00) by the Wardroom Committee;
c. expenditures of a capital or non-recurring nature up to one thousand dollars ($1000.00) by the Wardroom President;
d. expenditures of a capital or non-recurring nature up to five hundred dollars ($500.00) by the Wardroom Manager;
e. expenditures of a capital or non-recurring nature in excess of five thousand dollars ($5000.00) on the authority of a General Meeting;
g. expenditures for entertainment on the approval of the Entertainment Member within the budget limitations set by the Wardroom Committee;
h. expenditures for the purchase of goods for resale and consumable stores required for the usual operation of the Wardroom, on the authority of the Wardroom Manager;
i. petty cash expenditures up to three hundred dollars ($300.00) per receipt, by the Wardroom Manager; and
j. all NPF F&E write-offs are recommended by the Wardroom Manager, through the Wardroom Committee Minutes, and approved by the Commandant of CFSU(O).
- Gift Fund. The Gift Fund Trust Account exists to provide a source of funds to purchase a plaque for retiring members who are entitled to an annuity. It may also be used to purchase tokens of sympathy, honorariums or gifts, at the discretion of the President.
- To maintain the Gift Fund Trust Account with sufficient funds, the Ordinary members will contribute 50 cents from their mess dues to the Gift Fund. If funding is not sufficient, then an appropriate increase to the Gift Fund assessment shall be approved by the Wardroom Committee.
- RULES AND REGULATIONS. Current hours of operation shall be set by the Wardroom Committee and shall be posted on the entrance notice board. Unless previous permission has been obtained from the Wardroom Manager, the bar hours will not be extended past the closing time stipulated on the liquor serving permit issued to the Wardroom. The following conditions must be met to extend the hours past the posted time:
a. the bar employee must be willing to stay; and
b. the bar employee's wages and transportation costs home (other than own PMV) are paid for by that Member making the extension request.
- During the Christmas season, and on occasion, the summer leave period, the Wardroom will be closed in accordance with a schedule approved at a meeting of the Wardroom Committee. The Wardroom Manager shall post the details of each year's closing prominently in the Wardroom for the entire month of December and prior to summer closing.
- Members of the Wardroom may cash personal cheques. The total of all cheques cashed by a Member in one day shall not normally exceed $50.00.
- Members shall not treat the Wardroom Staff to intoxicants and are reminded that direct tipping of the staff is not recommended. However, Members my express their appreciation for good service by making a contribution to the Staff Fund.
- Daily operations (both bar and dining room) and payment of services is based on a "pay as you go" system, unless otherwise authorized by the Wardroom Manager.
- Private Functions may be sponsored by Members and arranged through the Wardroom Manager in accordance with policy set by the Wardroom Committee. Charges for Private and Wardroom functions may be paid in cash, by cheque, Master Card or Visa through the Members' Wardroom account, within thirty (3 0) days of the function. Overdue accounts will be subject to interest charged at 1.5% (or such rate as amended from time to time). In addition, Member's accounts may be paid by cash, cheque, MasterCard or VISA.
- The procedure noted below will be followed for all overdue accounts:
a. only one invoice will be sent;
b. after thirty (30) days, a form letter is sent by the Wardroom Manager to the member noting the overdue account and requesting payment;
c. after sixty (60) days, a form letter is sent by the vice-president to the member referring to the letter (para 61 b) and again requesting payment. Where the member was sponsored by another member, the sponsor may also be contacted to assist in any way possible;
d. after ninety (90) days:
1) for Ordinary Members a form letter is sent by the Wardroom President to the supervisor of the member along with copies of the previous correspondence requesting intervention to obtain payment, and
2) for Associate Members a form letter is sent by the Wardroom President advising that if payment is not made within 30 days, the Wardroom Committee will discuss revoking membership.
- Functions approved by the Wardroom Committee which involve blanket charges are to be paid by one of two methods:
a. PP = prepayment, once ticket is purchased there will be no refund unless provision for same is made under a cancellation policy promulgated in advance.
b. D = pay at the door, when cancellation is intended but not done three (3) working days prior to the function, or the reservation is a no show, the Member will be charged half of the original ticket price for all parties reserved.
- Members shall wear uniform or equivalent civilian attire, except as promulgated for Wardroom functions. The Wardroom Committee may relax these provisions at its discretion.
- No Wardroom property shall be removed from the Wardroom building, except with the approval of the Wardroom Committee and a signed receipt given to the Wardroom Manager. The Mac Lynch Library contains a diverse collection of nautical and historical literature and materials which Ordinary and Associate Members are encouraged to borrow. Members shall ensure that any material borrowed from the Library is signed for in the register provided.
- Guests are welcome but must be accompanied by a Member. A Member shall be responsible for his/her guest(s).
- Spouses of Members and escorted children are always welcome in the Wardroom, even if unaccompanied by their husbands/wives.
- Animals are not permitted in the Wardroom at any time, except those required by the handicapped.
- The Wardroom parking lot is reserved for Members who make successful application for such space and pay a monthly fee. They have exclusive use of the allocated parking spot from 0600 to 1630 on normal working days. Members wishing to reserve a parking spot may do so by applying at the Wardroom Office. If after adequate advertising, there has been no response from Members, non-members may apply for a reserved parking spot. Vehicles parked in a reserved spot between the hours of 0600 and 1630 on normal working days may be towed/removed at the owner's expense.
- The President may restrict or suspend the Wardroom privileges of any Wardroom Member for just cause for an appropriate period. In the case of misconduct or abuse, the matter will subsequently be brought to either the attention of the individual's superiors for an Ordinary Member, or to the Wardroom Committee for all other Members.
- Members are not to discipline or complain directly to individual Wardroom employees, but shall refer the matter to either the Wardroom Manager, the vice-president, or the President, or in urgent circumstances to function supervisors.
- The sale of alcoholic beverages shall be restricted to areas as detailed by the President. These beverages, other beer and wine, shall not be sold by the bottle. Intoxicants shall not be sold or served to minors. In addition, Members shall not be allowed to consume or store their own wine, liquor, or beer stock in the Wardroom.
- Employees are obliged by law not to serve any customer an alcoholic beverage if that person is obviously intoxicated, or, if in the opinion of the employee, appears to be so. The Wardroom policy is consistent with A-PS-110-001/AG 3 Chapter 11, which outlines procedures governing the provision, serving and consumption of alcohol in the CF.