The Club was first established in March 1956 as the Airforce Headquarters Rod and Gun Club. The Club is established as a Non-Public Fund (NPF) organization under the Commandant CFSU (O), reporting through the Recreation Council. It is an organization established to provide affordable activities to enhance the physical and mental well-being of active and retired members of DND and their dependants. Associated clubs of the Recreation Council include the National Capital Ski club, Golf Association, Sub Aqua Club to name but a few.
The Club is dedicated to the promotion of fishing, hunting, conservation and associated activities as a means of improving the general fitness and well being of all its members. It is also intended to provide newcomers to NDHQ with the opportunity to meet with fellow fishermen and hunters so that they can quickly familiarize themselves with the local fishing, hunting and shooting opportunities and to obtain information pertaining to licensing and permit requirements.
The Club is further dedicated to observe and practice sound conservation of all wildlife and its habitat; to respect the property rights of others; to assist the authorities with implementing conservation measures for the benefit of the community; and to oppose activities such as poaching or pollution that are prejudicial to sound conservation of wildlife and its natural habitat, so as to provide a continuing source of enjoyment for all its present and future members.
Meetings are held monthly from September to June inclusive. There are no meetings in July or August. The December and June meetings are formal General meetings. The remaining meetings are informal gatherings with guest speakers social events, or presentations by the members.
Meetings are generally held the first Monday of the month but are sometimes adjusted to cater to hunting/fishing season activities. Members are encouraged to make every endeavour to attend all meetings. Meetings are currently held at 7PM at the Royal Canadian Legion at 330 Kent Street, in Ottawa. Executive meetings are held as required.
Club activities include entertainment events such as Turkey dart shoots, Potluck Wild Game dinners, Wine & Cheese Bingos, and an Annual Awards Banquet. Outdoor activities include Spring and Fall Fishing Derbies, a Fall Pheasant hunt, Ice Fishing (conditions permitting) and a Kids Fishing Day for children of Canadian Armed Forces members.
The Club is an affiliated member club of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH), which is the premiere hunting, fishing and conservation voice in Ontario, with approximately 80,000 members across the province. OFAH membership is included in the annual club membership. As an OFAH Member, you receive a subscription to the Ontario Out Of Doors, $5,000,000 Public Liability Insurance coverage (free), discounts on OFAH merchandise, and discounts at a number of retail outlets in Ontario.
Annual Slate of Events (Typical)
- January, 1st or 2nd Monday – Monthly Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- End January – Ice Fishing Derby (weather dependent)
- February, 1st Monday – Monthly Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- March, 1st Monday – Monthly Mtg. w/Turkey Dart Shoot
- April, 1st Monday – Monthly Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- April, 3rd Saturday – Annual Awards Banquet
- May, 1st Monday – Monthly Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- End May / Early June – Spring Fishing Derby
- June, 1st Monday – General Mtg. w/Annual Election of Executives
- July & August – No Meetings or scheduled events.
- September, 2nd Monday – Monthly Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- September 2nd or 3rd Weekend – Fall Fishing Derby
- September 3rd or 4th Weekend -Wild Game Potluck Supper – Meet and Greet
- October, 1st Monday – General Mtg. w/Turkey Dart Shoot
- October, 2nd or 3rd Weekend – Fall Pheasant Hunt
- October, Last Monday – Pre-Emptive November Monthly Mtg. w/Guest Speaker
- November, Last Friday – Wine & Cheese Bingo
- December, 1st Monday – General Mtg. w/Guest Speaker